Finalist category: Digital Health Award
Digital Health Award, Winner, 2016
Devon Partnership Trust developed an innovative electronic visual control board. The concept of ‘MyWard’ is to provide simple visual clues and prompts for improving quality and safety of care. This system was developed in collaboration with multi-disciplinary clinical and managerial staff.
MyWard removes administrative burden and enable clinical staff to spend more time on direct patient care, it is also a at-a-glance visual storyboard for staff to get a clear picture of the ward, without having to look through multiple systems!
This is a national first for Mental Health, innovation and implantation of such technology to improve patient care shows that the Trust are leading the way in bringing bed management technology in Mental Health services and advocating parity of esteem.
MyWard has helped staff across the wards, from reducing admin time to finding patient care information quickly and easily. Care is delivered in a timely manner, reducing confusions, and handover between ward rounds is much quicker and easier.
Staff surveyed in February 2016 said:
– 85.7% agreed that MyWard helps them to plan their work.
– Over 90% agreed that it contributes to patient safety/patient care.
– 95% said it makes it easier to see what tasks need to be done for patients.
– 90% felt it highlighted gaps in care that have now been filled.
– Over 80% feel that it supports them to run more efficiently.
– 20 out of 21 staff would recommend the electronic whiteboard to another service.
This is a prime example of making better use of technology to facilitate timely intervention and ensuring quality of care, admin time has been cut by 63% per task and staff can spend more time with patients for direct patient care.
The electronic visual control board (MyWard) enables more efficient control of resources resulting delivery of high quality and consistent care for patients.